Wednesday, September 3, 2014

If the shoe fits . . .


The funny thing about planning a big trip is that it seems to take so long to work out the details and then, all of a sudden, it's time to pack your bags! Or at least plan your packing list.

I have two things on my packing list so far:
  • Comfortable walking shoes
  • Host/hostess gifts
I figure those are a good place to start: comfort and courtesy are important. It wasn't until the other day, however, that I realized that I would be leaving for Amsterdam in less than three weeks. Time to start shopping!

If you're one of the five people who have been following this blog for more than a year, you may recall that I've had some foot trouble, beginning with this:

I will regret that lack of pedicure for the rest of my days.
Massive bruising caused by my iPad landing on my foot.

A year after that accident, I developed excruciating pain at the joint between my third and fourth toes and was told it was a small, benign tumour on my nerve. The solution was a series of injections to shrink the tumour and an orthotic to insert in my shoes.

This summer, I've had a pair of sandals that work. My running shoes also work, but I wanted something a little less athletic for the trip. Don't want to give people the wrong impression and have them expecting me to run. Or jump. Or, you know, do anything other than walk.

At the same time, I really didn't want "old lady shoes." I'm not sure what defines "old lady" style. But it looks practical.

What I looked for were a pair of cute, classic oxfords, something like these:

Aren't they adorable?
Yah, like those, but with room for arch and metatarsal supports. Couldn't find them. But I found these instead.



They aren't sexy or exciting, but they're leather and comfy. And kinda cute. And they will probably last me the rest of my life.

They're practical.

They are "old lady shoes." There. I said it. But I will wear them with panache, as any respectable old lady would.

On a happier note, I've also picked up a couple of gifts, but I can't talk about them here because at least one of the recipients actually reads this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...