Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pasta Primavera


I've been so preoccupied getting the cookbook ready that I almost forgot that I owe you a recipe!

Back in November, I posted a list of recipes that I still had to prepare and asked you if there was one you were most eager to see. That post only got one comment, but it was a request for Pasta Primavera. So here it is.


The cookbook actually has quite a few pasta recipes, not just because I love noodles (I do), but because they are usually really fast to whip up. I also served pasta quite frequently when the kids were younger and sometimes fussy eaters. I've never known a kid to reject pasta. A perfect last-minute meal.

"Primavera" means "spring" in Italian, so you shouldn't be surprised to find that it includes lots of bright vegetables. It also has a very light taste -- not heavily tomato-drenched or meaty.

When I'm serving a pasta dish, I generally get the water boiling right from the get-go. In this case, the sauce cooks up so quickly that you really do need to put the noodles on right away.

In a big skillet, sauté until onion is tender:
    2 Tablespoons oil
    3 teaspoons minced garlic (or 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced)
    1 onion, diced

Add the following to your skillet:
    3 carrots, peeled and shredded
    1 zucchini, shredded
    1 cup broccoli florets
    1 red and 1 green pepper, cut very fine
    ½ teaspoon veg bouillon powder
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 Tablespoon fresh basil)
    ¼ cup white wine (optional)

Serve with spaghettini, rotini, or your favourite pasta. Garnish with parmesan.

Because this dish has very little in the way of protein, I sometimes serve it as a side dish.

P.S. If you're interested in ordering the cookbook, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...