Monday, March 24, 2014

Watching Them Take Flight

Katie
I can still see her -- taking wide-legged steps walking from me to Stephen, gradually gaining confidence as her balance improved, until she could walk on her own. And now she kickboxes.

I remember watching her go down the big slide and forcing myself to take a step back so she wouldn't know I was afraid for her safety. She ignored me completely and just went for it. And now she's doing it again.

Katie posted this on Facebook today:

Can you feel the excitement? I love it!

Katie started taking Mandarin courses in 2007 (I think) just out of interest. And she stuck with it. After a three-year hiatus from school, she went back to university and started studying languages and literature. And, permit me to brag for a moment, acing her courses.

Over the past four years, we have watched Katie "get her feet under her" -- moving from a wide, unsure stance to one of confidence and excitement, as you can tell from her post. This girl, this woman is about to take off running. And I can't remember the last time I was this thrilled for my children.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! I don't know where she'll end up (we rarely end up where we expect), but I love her confidence and enthusiasm.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! I think this shows a great deal of dedication. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dedication and enthusiasm will get her through the inevitable bumps over the next three years.

      Delete
  3. Good for her! And to have all those languages will open up SO many opportunities for her! Strangely, at too many universities in Canada foreign language programs are not thriving because fewer and fewer students want to do the hard work of studying languages. What that means is that the students who ARE able to converse with people around the globe will have a great advantage on the job market. (Foreign Affairs comes to mind right away.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be losing popularity because it doesn't appear to be immediately marketable -- it needs an added skill (like diplomacy, interest in literature, marketing). But she loves it, and that's what makes me so happy.

      Delete

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...