Monday, January 18, 2016

California Dreamin'

"Saddle up, pilgrims."
This bronze statue is at the eponymous John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA
So, yah. I'm not dead, and I haven't stopped blogging. I'm just . . . not blogging as much as I used to. I just haven't had the urge to write so much. We'll see where that goes. For now, I have some pretty pictures from our recent trip to California.

Last year, friends joined us for a week in the sun. This year, Steve's parents, Jean and Ian, flew down from BC to spend some quality time with us.

Ian and Jean at the beach.
While there, Steve's cousin Diana and her husband Richard came down from Long Beach to spend an afternoon with us.


We'd never been to California this early in the year, and were surprised at how chilly it was.


He's not frowning. He always looks at me like that. ;)
But it was still fun to lounge by the (heated) pool that no one swam in.

Ian, Richard
Jean, Diana
As always, the highlight of the trip was the beach. I never get tired of water and sky. Never.

Click the picture to see it nice and big!

I'm going to stop writing and let the pictures tell the story.

Steve and his parents at the top of the bluffs.

Near the Beachcomber Restaurant at Crystal Cove.

My husband, Steve, with his father Ian



I was fascinated by the saw-tooth rock formation.




I actually think this would make a pretty cool puzzle.

This plant is called Crystalline Iceplant. It collects drops of dew on its flowers and leaves.

All my favourite colours.
The following (you'll notice) do not include the beach.



Monarch seen at the La Brea Tar Pits

Flying fish? No -- the sky (and skylight) reflected in the koi pond at the La Brea Tar Pits.

Smoke by Tony Smith at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art

I'm awfully frond of you!

I don't think I will ever get over the feeling that palm trees are magic.
I did have the chance to get a little creative with my photography, though I do tend to stay in portrait mode, where I am comfortable.

500 points to the first person to guess what this is.
When we weren't at the beach, being tourists, or entertaining visitors, or cooking or drinking, you would often find me colouring.

This photo was actually taken in response to a challenge in one of my photography groups to take a selfie.
My mother gave me a colouring book for Christmas, and I've been very busy. Or at least as busy as my thumb joint will allow.


At the end of the week, while I was tidying up, I glanced at all the pencil shavings in the bowl beside me, and was captivated by the pretty display.

Accidental art
We came home to knee-deep snow and bitterly cold temperatures, but it was nice to have been away for a while, especially after a hectic Christmas.

P.S. We've decided to keep the timeshare, but to use it for more ventures, not just visits to California. 

4 comments:

  1. 500 points to me: Bird of Paradise flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct! The full prize has already been claimed, but I can grant you second prize of 400 points! :)

      Delete
  2. Darn - I knew that was a Bird of Paradise!! :)
    Love all the beach shots -- so perfectly captured. The one of the bird footprints in the sand especially. The pencil shavings would be a great shot on canvas for a kids room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I hadn't thought about using the pencil shavings photo, but it would make great kids'-room art. You could also print it on canvas for a pencil case.

      Delete

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...