Friday, May 22, 2015

Oh, Interwebs!

Narcoleptic kitty tries to reach the box and fails. (Pleated Jeans)
Welcome to my periodic round-up of things I've found online that make me smile, cry, laugh, think, shout, or drop my jaw. 



NOD

By Gemma Correll, author of The Worrier's Guide to Life


LAUGH

Not surprisingly, Shia Laboeuf is not the only Hollywood celebrity with an ego the size of the planet. Orson Welles beat him to it. Listen to these hilarious out-takes from some voiceovers for frozen foods. (Incidentally, he was right, of course.)
Why? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. There's no known way of saying an English sentence in which you begin a sentence with “in” and emphasize it. … That's just stupid. “In July?” I'd love to know how you emphasize “in” in ‘in July.” Impossible! Meaningless!

LAUGH


Mallory Ortberg wins again. Which Jane Austen Heroine are You? No. Not that one.
My God, I hate you. You barely deserve to be set on fire.

DROP YOUR JAW

I should have guessed that the Japanese would have an elegant and serene way of NOT doing this to protect their evergreens from heavy snowfall:


Instead, they do this:

Yukitsuri, tree-protection ropes. See more pictures here.


RESPECT

I am always interested to learn how different cultures create rituals around death. The Tana Toraja group in Indonesia bury infants who died too young to have teeth -- by tucking them into the trunks of trees. They also parade mummies around, so there's that.

Read more about it here. (Yes, this is the second "Amusing Planet" post in a row.)


CRY

You may already have seen this video, but if you haven't it's worth a couple of minutes. I remember the moment when I looked at my husband and thought, "Yah. I could be happy looking at this face for the rest of my life." I was right.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...