Monday, October 14, 2013

Oh, Bus Driver!

Commuting this week was absolutely NUTS.

The major highway that runs east-west through Ottawa is undergoing major construction initiatives at several points along its route. Consequently, smart travelers have diverted to my favourite route, the Sir John A Macdonald Parkway, which runs along the park-like shores of the Ottawa River.

Unfortunately, the parkway is a two-lane route, not designed to handle major commuter traffic. After the second day of surprising congestion, I decided to take side streets to work. More stop lights, but less insanity. Or so I thought.

Just a few minutes into my drive, I was stopped at a red light. I was in the left lane. An articulated city bus (or, as we call them, a "bendy-bus") was in the right lane dropping off and picking up passengers. In front of us, the road narrowed down to a single lane.

Fair enough, I thought. I'll move quickly so he can merge in behind me. I usually yield to buses if I am behind them (i.e., I won't cut them off), but in this situation, I thought it was reasonable for me to proceed.

But, while the light was still solidly red (and cross-traffic was fully green), the bus began moving into the intersection.

To my astonishment, it continued.

All 18 metres (60 feet) of the bus had fully traversed the intersection well before the light turned green.

I just sat there with my mouth open.

I remained behind the bus for several intersections and managed to snap a picture.

Bad bus driver! Bad, bad bus driver!
(In case you're wondering, yes, I did send a message to OCTranspo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Any comments?

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...